A BRIEF HISTORY
Although rugby football had been played in Malvern in the early years of the 20th century, the Club in its present form came about in 1934, when several of the town's worthies held an inaugural meeting at the Lyttleton Rooms to ratify the formation of Malvern Rugby Football Club. Playing around the Three Counties, then also the Greater Birmingham area, MRFC became an established fixture for many teams including the United (second XVs) of Gloucester, Cheltenham, Moseley and other top class clubs of the time. Bill Lock, our oldest surviving member, was an accountant and Hon. Secretary, and when the club resumed after WW2 he produced the cash balance from 1939 to kick-start the post-war activity.
In those days, when friendlies only were played, the only competitive rugby was in the North Midlands Cup, almost always the preserve of the senior clubs like Moseley. However, locally there was the "Templars Trophy", which Malvern contested against local sides like Tewkesbury, Evesham, Pershore and Ledbury - tales of momentous encounters are still told today in the bar. When the current league system was introduced, Malvern found itself in the lower reaches, still with plenty of local opposition. A good run in the 1992-93 Pilkington Shield was the precursor of an even more successful one the following year, when they went all the way to Twickenham to beat Old Hamptonians 8-6 in the final. The nucleus of that side then took Malvern on a rapid ascent through the league structure on a journey from North Midlands 2 to National 3 Midlands (then Midlands 1) - a rise of five levels in seven years. After a period back at level 6, the club is now back at the top tier of intermediate rugby, with a healthy and growing Youth and Mini section providing a firm base for the future.